At Sycamore Tree Child Care Center, breastfeeding is welcome.
- A supportive breastfeeding policy and all our staff members are aware and support this policy.
- Training for staff in proper handling and storage of human milk
- A positive message about breastfeeding
- A place for mothers to breastfeed or pump their milk for infants in privacy.
- A refrigerator for mothers to store their pumped milk.
- An environment where mothers who choose breastfeeding feel supported in their decision to breastfeed.
Here’s an example of how we’ll make this transition easy for mothers.
- We’ll provide a comfortable place for mother’s to breastfeed.
- We will encourage mothers to come and breastfeed comfortably at their convenience.
- We will work with family members to develop the baby’s individual breastfeeding support plan. Identify who is to do what and when. Those plans can be updated regularly.
- We will always follow appropriate procedures for handling human milk — Mother’s work hard to express milk, and special care is taken so it is not wasted.
Helping breastfeed babies adjust to the childcare setting
Being separated from “Mommy” can be difficult and there’s an adjustment period for any child or infant. Holding and cuddling is important for baby’s development and can be the secret to a peaceful and enriching childcare experience. Giving baby a blanket that has been in contact with the mother’s skin may also comfort the baby.